The Preventive Program
Online Dental Education Library
This online library is intended to provide you with general concepts in Dental education. Since this is prepared by outside sources the information may not represent the actual procedures that we perform in our office and it may not represent our actual opinions on the information. Our dental team is well versed on our own opinions and procedures and we are dedicated to clarify any of this information for you. Keeping this in mind, please use this dental library as a guide to learn more about dental problems and treatments available. If you have questions or need to schedule an appointment, contact us.
Both natural teeth and teeth with restorations survive best in an oral environment that is clean and where the intake of harmful foods is controlled. Our program is designed to help prevent new cavities, preserve teeth that have been restored and manage periodontal disease. At the initial visit oral hygiene instructions are reviewed and are reinforced at subsequent recall visits. The following are helpful recommendations:
- Brush your teeth twice a day in a circular motion with a soft bristled toothbrush aimed at the gum.
- Floss every night in an up-and-down motion while keeping the floss in a U-shape and against the tooth surface.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoid sticky sugary foods.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Use antiseptic and fluoride rinses as directed.
- Have sealants placed on young permanent teeth.